James Dobson Elementary School is a small, high achieving neighborhood school in the heart of Manayunk, Philadelphia, where our dedicated faculty and staff meets learners where they are and ensures that they succeed academically, as well as socially, and are prepared for high school and beyond.
The small size of our school contributes to our unique family atmosphere that values fundamental regard for all children. Our learning community of just under 300 students serves an economically and culturally diverse population of students living both in the surrounding neighborhood and communities from around the city. At Dobson School, we strive to create a community where we are inspiring learners and empowering leaders.
Dobson is a school where everyone will realize their full potential by being committed to:
- Providing equal opportunities for all,
- Always striving for excellence,
- Creating an environment that enhances student learning and leadership abilities.
Inspiring Learners. Empowering Leaders.
In addition to the School District of Philadelphia standardized curriculum for Reading, Math, Science, Social Studies, Health and Physical Education, Music, and Visual Arts, Dobson is proud to be part of several additional programs that promote literacy, enrichment, and community involvement. At Dobson, we are about offering all students a “Private School Education at a Public School Price!”
Dobson Elementary School points of pride:
- Active Home and School Association
- Recipients of a Leader In Me Grant. Dobson has been a Leader In Me School since January 2015!
- Recipients of a Community Design Collaborative Grant to redesign the outdoor learning space for our students.
- Student Leadership Opportunities:
- Student Council
- Safety Patrol
- Student Lighthouse Team
- Geek Squad
- New leadership positions for students are also posted daily on the job board!
- Middle School Sports:
- Girls’ Volleyball
- Girls’ Basketball
- Girls’ Softball
- Notable Activities:
- Upper and Lower School Choir
- Winter and Spring Music Performances and Musical Productions
- Student Art Show and Sale
- Graphic Arts Program
- School Newspaper -The “Fit Fin”
- Philly Ad Club
- Tech Girlz
- Reading Olympics
- Yearbook Committee
- Robotics Team
- Philly TEC Showcase Participants
- PA Middle School Computer Fair Participants